Monday, October 17, 2011

Mom vs. the {Half} Marathon

So last week I completed my first half marathon and as I told my running buddies, and by running buddies I mean my buddies who are much better runners than I am, I'm hooked!  I had an absolute blast!  Trust me, I never would have thought I would ever have actual fun while running.  I am not one of those people who run for fun, run to think, run to get away.  Point blank, I run because I eat a lot and I like my current clothes.  I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe.  I mean, it's nice to get outside in warm weather, but the moment I get about a mile from home I am pretty much ready to go back.
Another part of the back story is that last spring when I decided to sign up, I looked at the dates for the Rock and Roll Marathon series and tried to find a location where 1) Does Southwest would fly there and 2) Is it pretty? I settled on Denver.  I have ran in Colorado and Wyoming and didn't think the altitude would affect me that much.  However, many, many, many, many people told me how crazy I was for running in Denver.  It may have affected my time, but honestly, I didn't feel it at all.  It could have been the adrenaline, but I never had trouble breathing or felt like I was over fatigued.
Now, being that this was my first "big" race, I told Grant that I learned so much that I just had to do another one.  Let's be honest.  I had no freaking clue what the heck I was doing.  I chalk this trip up to a learning experience.  What did I learn?  Please read on.

When flying with a one year old, make sure your portable DVD player is charged.  It really sucks when the batteries run out 20 minutes into the flight.

Speaking of which, make sure the charger you have been using and the one your brought on your trip is not the Swiffer Sweeper charger.

Remember to bring your camera.  Buying a disposable at the hotel gift shop makes you look like tourist from 1995.

Watch the forecast.  Even if your friend who lives in Fort Collins says it is 85 degrees, it probably means that it will be 35 with freezing rain when you get there. 

Bring an umbrella.  See above.

Bring warm clothes.  See above.

Bring gloves to run in and a hat and cloves for your baby.  See above.

After you pick up your race packet, read ALL the directions for how to check your clothes when you get there.  That little blue zip tie does not belong in the trash can and that bag they give you is not just for fun.  It's for all your crap.

Don't lie down for a nap with your baby and expect the fire alarm not to go off an hour into your restful slumber.

Speaking of which, don't go to bed at night and not expect that the fire alarm to go off at 11:00 at night.

When you leave your hotel room in the morning without your key, make sure you have everything including your bagel.

When you leave your hotel room for the second time without your key, make sure you have your zip tie and bag for the equipment check.

Don't stay in hotels that require you to have your room key when you go up on the elevator.  You will be extremely winded and think, "What the (beep) was I thinking running in Colorado," as you make 4 trips up and down the stairs.

Know where the start of the race is.  Even if you think you can follow someone there, it doesn't mean that those people know where they are going.

When you get to the equipment check, make sure you take your jacket off.

After you cut in line at the equipment check, make people mad, give them your forgotten jacket and then turn around to warm up, make sure you don't drop one of your $30 gloves you just bought at the Expo.

Make sure you don't leave your knee braces in the bag that you checked.  You'll look really dumb if you go back twice because you forgot something.  I didn't go back by the way.

When you sign up for the race and you put your predicted finishing time, don't underestimate yourself. You will be stuck in the LAST CORRAL with the walkers and the coffee carriers.  Yes, you read that right.

Speaking of corrals, if you are in the last one, you may want to get to the starting line a little early or you will literally be stuck in a mob and since you've never done this before you will start freaking out.

Don't plan on seeing your family at any point along the way.  A one year old is too unpredictable.

Don't give your family all your Gu to give you at mile 4 and 8.  Again, they won't be there.

Don't eat the Gu they give you at mile 10.  It is supposed to taste like "Blackberry", but you will end up literally gagging it down. 

Don't believe that your husband who is supposedly really good with directions will not get you lost and keep you walking around for 45 minutes after you have just ran for 13 miles.  Don't even bother getting a hotel a half a mile from the finish line.  It won't matter.

Don't expect to see mountains in Colorado.  Apparently on this course, there was only one lonely mountain at the end of one lonely street.  Not the view I was planning for.

Don't trust the airport shuttle.  There are several reasons why.  1) They will break down on the way to the airport. 2) They will act like it is no big deal that you are about to miss your plane. 3) The new driver will ask if he can stop for gas. 4) The new driver will ask if you have your paid ticket...no we just saw this shuttle and decided to get on.  Uh, pretty sure you just saw us get off the other shuttle.

Make sure your one year old has a drink when you are deciding on an airplane.  He won't take a binky when he is too busy crying and putting his fingers in his ears.


Overall, I learned a lot.  As Grant says, "I had a lot of fun, but this was the worst trip ever".  See you next fall Rock and Roll Marathon Series.  Can't wait to choose a new race!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I would totally agree with Grant! The trip sounds like a nightmare BUT the race sounds amazing!!! So proud of you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete