Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mom vs. Marathon: 3 Weeks Down and a New Mix


Like I mentioned before, when my brother-in-law ran his first {and subsequently last} marathon a few years ago I vowed that I would never put myself through that.  Well now I am plenty of 5 and 10K's in + one half marathon down and on my way to my first full.  When my sister asked my brother-in-law if he had any tips for me we basically came to the consensus that I have succeeded if I get through the training and race day in the standing position.  That spells success to me. 

Training Stats {Replacement of what was once "Baby Stats", you know, "Baby is the size of an avacado and can move its limbs}:
  • Tomorrow I will have completed 3 full weeks of training.
  • The longest distance I have ran so far is 7 miles which to me sounds pretty short compared to where I will be ending up in 15 weeks, but it took me about 7 weeks to work up to that when I was training for my half so I guess I have even impressed myself a little.  Next week is the big 9 miles and to put that in perspective, the most I ran to train for the half was 10 miles.  Oh boy.
  • My cross training Sundays have consisted of workouts I find on Pinterest which as we all know is the new Google.  I have found them to be fun because they mix it up and I end up working my rear end off...literally.
  • Temperature today...107 degrees.  Yes, you read that correct and yes, I run outside.  I have had to get up pretty darn early to beat the heat, but it is still about 90 degrees when I get up.  Lovely.
  • Pain: Knees, back and hammies
And now...the workout mix
I have spent several hours putting together a new mix for long runs.  I find that changing up my music helps A LOT and gives me something to look forward to. You know, besides the hours upon hours of running.  You will see that I have a very eclectic mix.  Everything from the Dixie Chicks to Jay-Z to Ray Lamontagne.  You will also see that I mix it up between fast and slow.  Sometimes I like to run to slower stuff.  It helps me relax and yes, I am starting to become one of those people who "clears their head" on runs rather than just praying it's over soon.  So here we go.  My hope is that you may see some of these songs and add them to your mix or that one day I'll look back and hopefully not regret the choices I made. 

Pink- Aerosmith
Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)- Beyonce
Love Sex Magic- Ciara feat. Justin Timberlake
Ride for You- Damity kane
Ants Marching- Dave Matthews Band
Bennie and the Jets- Elton John
Make Me Better- Fabulous Feat. Ne-Yo
Homecoming- Kanye West
We Thuggin'- Fat Joe feat. R. Kelly
Party People- Fergie and Nelly
Winner- Jamie Foxx feat. Justin Timberlake
Johnny Cash- Jason Aldean
Body Language- Jesse McCartney feat. T-Pain
Baby- Justin Bieber and Ludacris
Good Life- Kanye West
No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems- Kenny Chesney
A Milli- Lil Wayne
4 Minutes- Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake
Baggage Claim- Miranda Lambert
Tilt Ya Head Back- Nelly and Christina Aguilera
Whatever U Like- Nicole Scherzinger feat. T.I.
She's Country- Jason Aldean
Piece of Me- Britney Spears
Rehab- Rihanna feat. Justin Timberlake
Wanna Love You Girl- Robin Thicke
All I Want to Do- Sugarland
Carry Out- Timbaland feat. Justin Timberlake
Mrs. Officer- Lil Waye
Stronger- Kanye West
These Are the Days- Sugarland
Love Was Easy- Jason Aldean
Give It to Me- Timbaland feat. Nelly Fertado
Carolina- Corey Smith
Sexy lady- Yung Berg feat. Junior
Let it Go- Zac Brown Band
Swing Ya Rag- T.I.
Feel Like a Rock Star- Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw
Otis- Kanye West and Jay Z
I Won't Give Up- Jason Mraz
If We Ever Meet Again- Timbaland feat. Katy Perry
Fly Over States- Jason Aldean
Drunk on You- Luke Bryan
Wanted- Hunter Hayes
Paradise- Coldplay
No Hurry- Zac Brown Band
P.I.M.P.- 50 Cent
California Love- Tupac
Hypnotize- Notorius BIG
Big S**t Poppin'(Do It)- T.I.
Alright- John Legend
Holiday Inn- Chingy
In Da Club- 50 Cent
3- Britney Spears
Top Back- T.I.
She Got It- 2 Pistols
Hold On- Wilson Phillips
Eyes Open- Taylor Swift
I Need a Girl, Part II- P Diddy feat. Loon and Usher
Big Poppa- Notorious BIG
Burn- Ushwer
Overnight Celebrity- Twista
Live Your Live- T.I. feat. Rihanna
Cant Believe It- T-Pain feat. Justin Timberlake
Ayo Technology- 50 Cent feat. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland
Tonight- Sugarland
Both of Us- B.o.B. feat. Taylor Swift
Even if it Braks Your Heart- Eli Young Band
Twenty-One- Corey Smith
Hillbilly Delux- Brooks and Dunn
Stand Up- Ludacris and Shawnna
Why You Wanna- T.I.
Right Thurr- Chingy
Boys from the South- Pistol Annies
Sexy Can I- Ray J feat. Yung Berg
Bust it Baby- Piles feat. Ne-Yo
Look at Me Now- Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes
Take Care- Drake feat. Rihanna
{Beep} in Paris- Kanye West and Jay Z
Run- Matt Nathanson feat. Sugarland
Mercy- Duffy
Dark Side- Kelly Clarkson
Call Me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepsen
Hypnotize- Notorius BIG
Big Pimpin'- Jay Z and UGK
Oh Boy- Cam-ron
I Just Wanna Love U- Jay Z
...Baby One More Time- Britney Spears
How to Love- Lil Wayne
Firework- Katy Perry

There you have it.  5.9 hours of running distraction and bliss.

1 comment:

  1. FABULOUS! So proud of you friend. You are going to rock this marathon!
    PS: spin class is a fantastic cross training if you ever need something different! But also, don't be afraid to give yourself an extra day off if you need to - especially when you start doing those long distances, your body will need the break!

    ReplyDelete