Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Soft Pretzels

**I took a picture, but it didn't look as professional as this one. This is what they looked like.

Have you ever looked at a recipe and it is rated as "Easy" and the next thing you know you are mixing dry ingredients and then adding wet, using a spatula to fold and then the KitchenAid, putting parchment paper, flower and butter on a pan before heating for a while and then turning whatever your cooking? My point is, sometimes recipes claim to be "easy" and they are definitely not!
I am a working mother here people! As my family can attest to, I am a pretty amazing cook (toot toot) when I have the time. The last time I made a knock your socks off meal was Christmas Eve. I made my first turkey, twice baked potatoes, pecan pie and my sweet potato casserole. My husband picked up the largest Honeybaked Ham I have ever seen! Just those three things took me 1 day of preparation and one day of cooking! That doesn't even include all the sides my family members contributed!
I don't have time to cook food that require a lot of steps! Ladies and gentlemen (but probably mostly ladies)! I now present one of the easiest recipes in the world! Not only is it easy, it was quite the hit on E's birthday! So much so, I didn't get to try one. Good thing I had an encore performance for our staff lunch last week. Not as fresh the day after, but just as good.
I mean, you don't even have to mix anything! If you know how to boil water and stir an egg, you can do this! Thank you Sandra Lee!

Ingredients-
One loaf white bread dough (thawed)
Flour for dusting preparation surface
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup of course salt
  1. The recipe says to divide the dough into 14 pieces and create pretzels, you know, like Auntie Anne's or Wetzle's Pretzels. Want to do something easier? Cut them into bite sized pieces for pretzel bites!
  2. Transfer dough to the refrigerator until you are ready to boil.
  3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  4. In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add 3 regular pretzels or about half of your pretzel bites to the boiling water. Boil until the bread floats indicating they are finished. For a pretzel, this may take 3 minutes. It only takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute for the pretzel bites.
  5. Drain pretzels on a paper towel.
  6. Place pretzels about 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
  7. Brush with egg and sprinkle with salt.
  8. Bake until golden brown. Bake regular pretzels 15-20 minutes. Pretzel bites will take about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment